Saturday, December 29, 2012

2012 December


We make a living by receiving - but we make a life by giving.
Remembering the reason for this holiday season and grateful to our Heavenly Father for giving the gift of eternal life.
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life".

December has always been my favorite month mainly because we remember and celebrate Jesus' birth on December 25 which is Christmas Day -- the day when most people observe this by giving gifts freely to their love ones as their way of showing love, encouragement, gratitude, and appreciation.

What warms my heart most is witnessing the many people who would freely give without expecting anything in return as commanded in Mathew 10:8 '... Freely you have received, freely give'.

I greatly admire these people for they know what's most important in life is not by storing treasures on earth. By giving freely without selfish intentions and as wise stewards of HIS blessings, they store up treasures in heaven (Matthew 6:19-21).

I not only admire but am also greatly encouraged by their living testimony that this is how we should live our lives especially when we know that everything in this world is temporary and will pass away.

This morning, our pastor shared an inspiring poem which I'd like to share with you below.

The Dash

I read of a man who stood to speak
at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone,
from the beginning...to the end.
He noted that first came the date of her birth
and spoke of the following date with tears,
but he said what mattered most of all
was the dash between those years.
For that dash represents all the time
that she spent alive on earth.
And now only those who loved her
know what that little line is worth.
For it matters not, how much we own,
the cars…the house…the cash.
What matters is how we live and love
and how we spend our dash.
So, think about this long and hard.
Are there things you’d like to change?
For you never know how much time is left
that can still be rearranged.
If we could just slow down enough
to consider what’s true and real
and always try to understand
the way other people feel.
And be less quick to anger
and show appreciation more
and love the people in our lives
like we’ve never loved before.
If we treat each other with respect
and more often wear a smile,
remembering that this special dash
might only last a little while.
So, when your eulogy is being read,
with your life’s actions to rehash…
would you be proud of the things they say
about how you spent YOUR dash?
In my neophyte years, I was fortunate to be surrounded by very caring Christian families and friends. They were consistently overly caring to the extent that their thoughfulness always caught me off-guard thus leaving a deep impression and impact on me. Eventually, I took many of these good deeds, generous favor and lavish gifts for granted. I was very sheltered such that I was not fully aware until later that I am unrighteously self-serving and tight-fisted in many ways.
 

As a young adult, I was convicted when a non-believer, a devout Taoist/Buddhist person gave freely and sacrificially than what I, as Christian was willing to give.
This devout Taoist/Buddhist person then asked me these questions...
'Why don't I deserve to go to heaven as you?'
"How are you, as Christian, better than me?"
"How is your God's teaching better than mine?"

For Buddhists place great importance on generosity they have many words to describe it. Two of these words are dana and caga. Dana means “distribution of gifts.” Caga means “a heart bent on giving.” Dana, or giving, is intimately tied to karma (cause and effect). Caga describes the state of mind of the generous giver, or the desire to give. It is caga that creates a rich soil for meditation where in developing generosity, our mind becomes lighter and more available to insight. It is through giving with a kind, loving heart that we develop our capacity to let go and become freer, lighter and happier.

Ultimately, generosity in Buddhism is about non attachment and loving kindness.
 
This reminded me of how I was, in the same way, cared for by the God-fearing families and friends that I was surrounded with. They weren't boastful of their deeds but their actions speak volumes. I suddenly realized that they have set a great example for me to follow. For that, I am grateful.    

Our pastor often challenged us not to live a life of regret.

I know for certain that I would regret it if I was too caught up with my own needs and wants in trying to fulfill/achieve my dreams in life that I failed to share God's sacrificial love by nurturing, caring for, protecting and supporting the family and friends around me.
 
Most especially, if my selfishness hinders one to come to Christ...
How about you?