Praise God for the new year! A joyous occasion and a wonderful opportunity to start anew!
What I enjoy doing most as each year comes to a close is to reflect on how I was able to live my life that year then set personal goals and expectations for the following year.
The most difficult part from my annual year-end exercise is to make decisions on which bridge to burn and which bridge to cross. It is not easy but necessary.
There are many bridges that we can burn like bad habits and bad influences.
Recently, I came across the following statement which is helpful in deciding which bridge to burn.
"When you have to start compromising yourself or your morals for the people around you, it's probably time to change the people around you."
The statement also reminds me of the lessons I learned from a children's camp I attended years ago (umm..not too long ago since I am still young haha!). The camp theme was "No Compromise" where we were all challenged to live lives without compromising God's standards and values. From the camp, I became very aware that we live in a world and age full of compromises and it won't be easy to live a life of "No Compromise".
Not compromising requires our unswerving submission to Him and to Him only, regardless of the world’s concession to godlessness. As believers, we must “see to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ” (Colossians 2:8).
May we be encouraged and reminded by Psalm 119:1-4 (NLT) that “Joyful are people of integrity, who follow the instructions of the LORD. Joyful are those who obey His laws and search for Him with all their hearts. They do not compromise with evil, and they walk only in His paths. You have charged us to keep Your commandments carefully”.
Which bridge should we cross to make ourselves more useful and capable in serving God and others?
Which bridge should we cross to enable us to live lives of "No compromise"?
Someone said labor and discipline so that we can be more productive in service like serving God, family, and others.
I fully agree and would like to add - spend more time with Him by studying HIS Word diligently as well as surround oneself with godly men and women. Listen to their advice. To me, these are bridges worth building and crossing this new year.
I am excited with what God has in store for us this 2013 and fully trusting that HE will always carry us no matter what happens. Hope you feel the same way. ;-)
Have a Blessed New Year!
